Thursday, November 20, 2008

Leading by Example (IE politics)

Over the past little while, well since the election on November 4th, there has been a lot of hate generated over Proposition 8. And I know... no need to tell me I am constantly saying I don't want to hear anything more from either side on the issue. But today I read something that really hurt my feelings and just felt that I needed to write something.

At any rate...

A lot of people have been "blaming" The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (A.K.A. LDS or Mormon) for the passing of proposition 8. Which in and of itself does not bother me. I do believe the church used its influence to try to influence their congregations one way, but I don't believe the church is solely responsible for the passing of Proposition 8 (I mean not 52% of California's population is LDS, but that's a different conversation all together).

Now people are calling all LDS members bigots saying we should be ashamed in what we believe, be ashamed that we belong to a church that could support something like proposition 8.

I in fact am not ashamed to say I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. But I don't enjoy being called a bigot just because of my religion. I want to make it VERY clear I'm not saying I voted for or against prop 8. I'm just trying to make a point.

If I was trying to get someone to see my point the last thing I would want to do is call them a bigot. If we belittling a person's way of thinking he/she will immediately turn us off and not listen. The saying, "kill them with love," I think, applies here. If people were rioting in the street for no on prop 8 and then came and saw a person who voted yes on prop 8 and was nice to that person. The person who voted yes on prop 8 probably wouldn't be so defensive and may actually listen to what you have to say.

Again I want to make it VERY VERY clear that I'm not disclosing in any way, shape, or form that I voted for or against prop 8. I'm just tired of the hate coming from BOTH sides. There is no need for name calling and no need to say any group should be ashamed of themselves.

I consider myself to be a very open minded and accepting person. I mean I have VERY CLOSE friends from EVERY walk of life. I love them all and support them in whatever they do and give them whatever help they need. I don't think that would qualify my as a bigot, or a hater, or a person who interferes with the rights of another person.

I'm Mormon, I'm not a bigot, I don't hate, and I don't discriminate.

Please don't hate or discriminate me because I choose to exercise my constitutional right to practice the religion that is best fitting for me.

3 comments:

Bags said...

Yeah, this whole mess is ridiculous. I've read some interesting stuff on this topic, and I think these two blogs are the best I've seen so far... enjoy.

Mishimmy said...

Bravo Kid!!! I totally agree with you. Especially with the being understanding to be able to have people listen to you. Unfortunately, people don't always use common sense when they're angry. I'm in the same boat you are with having friends in every way,shape and form. Its hard when things like this affect so many that you love and they blame you even though they know better than that.
You're amazing. I'm proud of you!!

Karenvizzy said...

Thanks Bags! Those were both really really good! I loved them!