Saturday, November 29, 2008

Accepting Viewpoints

So I know I've been talking a lot about accepting political opinions and such recently... BUT I feel it's very very very important at this time. I promise I'll try to keep this to a minimum in the future.

The Church of Jesus Christ came out with an Article via it's Newsroom responding to the recent passing of proposition 8 in California. Specifically it was titled "Church Responds to Same-Sex Marriage Votes"

The statement that really stuck out to me and to the friend who sent the link to me was...
Before it accepted the invitation to join broad-based coalitions for the amendments, the Church knew that some of its members would choose not to support its position. Voting choices by Latter-day Saints, like all other people, are influenced by their own unique experiences and circumstances. As we move forward from the election, Church members need to be understanding and accepting of each other and work together for a better society.


I have had debates on this very issue and other issues with fellow church members, while I don't always feel that they are looking down on me for my opinions, I do feel that way some of the time.

I actually had someone tell me I was jepordizing my membership in the church because of feeling a certain way on a recent issue. Which I know isn't true... a wise friend once said to me, "once it is a requirement to tell a bishop how I voted, in an election, to enter the temple the church is no longer true."

I feel that we all need to be more accepting of each other. Whether it is inside the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or outside of it. It is one thing we can do to make this world a better place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see the point you are trying to make, and it is understandable. The Church is accepting of all people who believe in Christ and his teachings. Although other people might have different view points, who's opinion is the one that ultimately matters? I think that i would try to vote the way the Savior would want me to vote. That isn't saying that the way other people vote is wrong, but it definitely is a pretty touchy subject and strong feelings about a political view can cause some damage in some friendships.
At times I really don't understand why people would vote certain ways about certain subjects, but at the same time, someone may think the same about me.
The tough part is, when you have the same beliefs as another person, you think that political views would be similar. Unfortunately that is not always the case. However, i think those members who put down and condemn other members need to do some repenting. I like to think of it like this...
When people are going through the repentance process and can not partake of the sacrament, sometimes others look down upon that person and even talk about them in an ill manner. That very same person needs to repent and needs a stronger testimony of the Savior.
We are not the ones to judge another person, whether it be by their sins or their political views. There is on who is of a higher power who is the judge of that.