Thursday, September 24, 2009

Intolerance

Intolerance
1. The quality or condition of being intolerant; lack of tolerance.
2. Medicine. Extreme sensitivity or allergy to a drug, food, or other substance: lactose intolerance.

I'll let you take a second to guess which one I am talking about... because I'm sure from just reading the title of this post your mind definitely went to one of those two!

Sorry to disappoint, but I am talking about the medical definition. Now I'm sure some of you will stop reading, but that's OK... I won't hold it against you!

I have recently come to the conclusion that I have a slight intolerance to dairy. Every time I eat/drink it I feel sick and I just want to die!

You may be thinking, "Alright Karen. What's the big deal?! TONS of people are lactose intolerant and they deal! WHY are you taking time to write a post about it?!"

See a normal person once they find out they're allergic to something tries to stay away from that certain something, right? Well here is where I prove that I am A-typical! I don't try to stay away from dairy at all!!! Sometimes I will even go out searching for it! Then after having any dairy products I always vow to stay away from dairy forever! Needless to say that doesn't last long... I wake up in the morning craving a milkshake or cheese or yogurt (mostly just milkshakes).

Recently the sickness after eating dairy has been getting worse and worse. I just have to say that I HATE IT!!!!

Last night at Strutter's Ball in Orange County I got so sick that I only danced 5 songs! I never only dance 5 songs even back in the day when my knees hurt like none other!

I had drank a Starbucks Vanilla Frappuccino from 7/11 on the way down to the venue and I wasn't feeling too great before dancing because of this dairy filled drink, but I danced anyway. By the end of the 5th dance I felt like I was going to heave up everything that I had eaten for the week!

Unfortunately, I have difficulty vomiting on my own, so I went to the bathroom and stuck my fingers down my throat (no worries I'm not bulimic and I don't do this on a regular occasion). Anyway, nothing came out, and I still felt like SH** the rest of the night! Right then and there I said, "That's it! I can't take it anymore!! NO MORE DAIRY!!!"

Less than 24 hours later.... I drank some milk - felt like crap after... then I had 1 1/2 slices of pizza - again felt like crap.

Moral of the story?? I am really just dumb. AND I hate dairy, but I love it at the same time! Now if that isn't tolerant intolerance I don't know what is!

3 comments:

falice said...

Hey. Take a look at this: http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/food_allergy_igg.asp
It is a delayed allergy test. Yo go to a doctor, they draw your blood, send it to the lab. The lab adds different food proteins into the blood and check back in a few hours. They look for antibodies that developed in response to the added food proteins. The more antibodies, the worse time your body has dealing with the food tested.
This is substantially better than the plain old allergy test you get from your doctor. That allergy test only measures how your body reacts to allergens in a few minutes. The IgG test can determine allergies you didn't even know you had since it happens a few hours, and not instantly, after you have ingested the food.
It's kind of expensive but you can try to get your health plan to cover it.
Also try going to a homeopath or get a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (a D.O. instead of an M.D.). Since D.O.s consider your entire health instead of just treating one symptom, they might solve problems you didn't even know you had! I can give you some names if need be...
Stay healthy! 'Cause it sucks not being able to dance... :D

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

If I couldn't eat ice cream I might of killed myself by now.

Anonymous said...

I lost my comment, so I'll try again:

You may just be lactose intolerant instead of having an allergy to dairy. Give some type of lactase pill/liquid a try.

http://www.medicinenet.com/lactose_intolerance/article.htm

It's much cheaper and faster than a doctors visit, and it either works or it doesn't.

When shopping for lactase pills, be sure to read reviews, as some are more effective than others.
This one has helped me me: http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Light-Lacto-Zyme-Tablets-90-Count/dp/B001F0R1MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1257835772&sr=1-1
I purchased it at Whole Food, while being expensive, they do have a damn good return policy. If you purchase it from Whole Foods, and it doesn't work for you, you can get all of your money back.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better :)