Thursday, March 14, 2013

Dance Inspiration? At a Pizza Place?!

YES!!

Every Wednesday there is a live band that plays in East Mesa from 5pm-7:30pm. Dabney's dad is in the band so we have made a habit of taking the nieces and nephews to see grandpa play while we dance.

This last Wednesday was particularly memorable. A little girl, about 4 years old, named Kenzie came up and shyly asked me and my nieces to dance.

Of course, I obliged. My niece (6yrs old) took some convincing but finally one of them came out onto the dance floor after protesting, "NO! I can't dance! I don't know how!!"

Both of these little girls copied what I was doing and were having a BLAST dancing to Dixieland music!! Soon enough they got the courage to do their own dancing. They lost all inhibitions and just let go! They looked absolutely ridiculous but they didn't care they were just having fun.

That is something (I think) all dancers should have, but in my experience it is extremely rare to find that type of liberation in a dancer. I have been working on letting myself go and just dancing for me (I will also admit that I had forgotten about that goal until today).

The first time I really felt that I let myself be in the dance and in the music and not give a rat's a** about anything else was the day my mom passed away. I went dancing at Strutters Ball in Orange County. I asked Mikey Pedroza to dance and for the first time ever I was dancing without inhibition, without hesitation, without worry. I unlocked something in my dancing that night that I had never experienced before!

It is an awesome feeling and I'm trying oh so hard to feel that way all the time! I just need the little helpful inspiring reminders along the way!

No comments: